Thursday, February 16, 2012

I Am From (Poem I Wrote #3)



I am From

I am from the scattered guitar picks
Orange flowers blooming in the lamplight
From the torn papers
Strewn across the tables
I am from the mellifluous plucking of strings
The constant hum of my daily life
I am from singing in the bathroom
From whistling our favorite songs
From the soft crooning of lullabies in the dark.

I am from the cracking paint,
The gutters sprouting with moss.
From the freezing winters,
The conservation of heating oil.
I am from the great pine outside my window
That I used to make shapes in
A hamster
Superman
Arms shackled with thorns
Watch me as I sleep.

I am from rushed Chanukahs
The candlelight dancing in the window
The lights turned down low
I am from the carefully planned Seders
With the Haroset piled gently in its place
The parsley-flicking wars
Flinging salt-water onto my glasses
Shouting, “Blood!” and “Beasts!”
Without a care in the world.

I am from the cold Belarusian winters
The hastily hidden cucumbers
From Shabbat by flickering candlelight
I am from the hurriedly packed belongings
Their carriers rushing to the port
I am from new beginnings
Image © Paula Bailey 2005
On a road paved in gold.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh! I love making shapes in trees too! The maple outside my window is the profile of a giant's head.
    Hm...I like that last part about a road paved in gold...better than yellow brick, I think. And what about the cucumbers?

    ReplyDelete