Thursday, February 16, 2012

Loud Talkers (Poem I Wrote #2)



Loud Talkers 
Your thunderous voice
Booms across the cafeteria
Creating almost visible waves
Of pure noise
I cringe
And hunch in my seat

“AND THEN I WAS LIKE, NO, DUDE, THANK YOU!”

Squinting my eyes,
I peer through my lashes
You walk towards my table.
I bury my gaze in my lukewarm food.

“HE SAID THAT HE JUST HAD TO GIVE ME THE PART!”

I’m suddenly very interested
In the clumpy rice
Strewn across my tray.
Please don’t come over here,
I beg quietly,
Whispering into my salad.

“HEY, EMMA, WHAT’S HAPPENING?!”

I flush red,
Plastering on a smile.
My temples pound
With the sheer volume of your speech.
Go away
I think.
“Nothing much. You?”
I say quietly
In sharp contrast to your loudness.

“I WAS JUST TELLING THE GUYS ABOUT A NEW PART I GOT, WANNA HEAR?!”

I heard it already
When you told them
Across the room
If I was writing your voice
It would be in bold, capital letters
With exclamation marks
Peppering the page
Whenever you speak.
“Sure,”
I sigh,
Resigned.
Image © Kim Chau 2009

2 comments:

  1. Finally, someone who doesn't lionize people with huge, crass voices, but finds them just annoying. I love this poem! I'll remember to talk to you quietly in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem reminds me of someone...*cough* *cough* Jack Koefoed...

    ReplyDelete